"...a Chessmaster should be a combination of a beast of prey and a monk."

Friday, August 4, 2017

Blitz

I used to think blitz was basically evil. Kind of like the junkfood of chess. No nutritional value.

Lately I have come to change my mind about that. I now think of blitz more like a sandbox. A place where you can try things out and see how they work. Because the games are shorter and less intense than a slow time control game you can feel free to experiment more.

I think it also promotes board vision, basically just staying aware of the basics of not blundering pieces (at least at my blitz level). I think this is useful for me because I still blunder even in long time control games getting distracted and thinking of my plans instead of checking what the opponent can do.

I still think of slow chess as the thing I want to get good at, but I am coming around on the value of blitz as practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment