"...a Chessmaster should be a combination of a beast of prey and a monk."

Monday, October 12, 2015

Slow Chess Club in Taipei

The story is a bit long and winding but we had our first meeting of the slow over the board chess club this last Sunday. I was quite happy with the turn-out. (5 players, but remember we are a small community and just trying to get this thing off the ground.) It remains to be seen how things will go week to week, but it is heartening to feel there were enough people for several games each and that for the most part they were serious and focused opportunities to practice.

7 comments:

  1. Sundays at noon (till maybe 5 or so) at Vinyl Decisions. It's a small shop near Liuzhangli MRT stop (brown line 3 stops south of the intersection with blue line at Zhongxiao Fuxing).
    台北市信義區崇德街38巷6號
    Chongde Street, Lane 38, No. 6, Xinyi District

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably too busy to go out that way today. Might have some time to play later in the week if you want to meet and play. I was 2300 FIDE awhile back. I'm near Daan Park.

      Delete
  2. Yah, it would be cool, but I do have to warn you (in case you haven't been following the blog) I'm a LOT weaker than you. But sure, let me know where and when.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some stronger players hanging around. Alex plays for the National team and is quite good. He came last Sunday and often comes on Wednesday evening. (Same location.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My main point isn't really matches, but some interesting games would be nice.

      I just googled around to find some people who like chess and want to socialize. There are tons of interesting positions that I don't know about. I haven't played tournaments in a few years and I'm pretty weak now. When are you meeting Wednesday? I'm probably out of town again, but who knows. If anyone does want to play, let me know as I'll be around Daan park a few more days. I'm probably more free in the evenings and I'm always up for some dumpling/noodles and chess. I'm on a budget, so I'd prefer to be near the yellow Line as that's most convenient for me.

      Delete
    2. Sure no problem. I can definitely come to you evenings on the yellow line. I'm pretty free right now. Give me a stop, exit number, and time and I will be there. Wednesday starts after 7pm.

      Delete