"...a Chessmaster should be a combination of a beast of prey and a monk."

Thursday, October 8, 2015

An interesting upset win

I am happy about this game. I felt I got an advantage in the opening and was able to nurse it to victory. I think there are some points where he could have stopped me but he made some time wasting moves and I capitalized on them to secure the concessions I needed.

Again, I feel that some of the positional themes from "Amateur's Mind" are showing up in my games and changing how I play. I also feel happy that I did well with the king and pawns endgame which I have practiced a lot of.


Jolly_wag (1615) - JabotScrob (1517)

Result: 0-1
Site: Chess.com
Date: 2015.10.08
[...] 1.d4 d5 I have kind of decided that I favor positional chess. I have played the king's indian for awhile now, but I have decided to switch back to d5 since I don't think the attacking ethos of the king's indian suits me. Also, I rarely got to play any main lines since so many people seem to switch off into the London system. 2.♘f3 e6 3.g3 ♘f6 4.♗g5 ♗e7 5.♗g2 O-O 6.O-O c5 7.c3 ♘c6 Up till here I am just playing according the rough guideline in my head of what I should be doing. I wouldn't call this theory but I think my moves are pretty standard. 8.♘bd2 ♕b6 My idea is a double attack piling up on the d4 pawn and hitting the b2 pawn. I expected Nd3 which defends both. But on reflection... 9.dxc5
9.♘b3 c4 ...is probably no good for white either. So, considering the way the game went I would almost label Nbd2 as the losing move. I think he should play as my chessbase tree showed with Qb3.
9...♕xb2 So I can take on either c5 or b2. Why do I choose b2? Because I am pretty sure that if I take the c5 pawn he will defend b2 easily and material will be equal and the position seems level. However, if I take b2 the pawn structure is way worse and it seems that the c5 pawn is much harder to defend. Just had to double check there were no queen trapping tactics. 10.♕b3 ♕xb3 I feel very happy to trade queens in this situation. 11.axb3 h6 12.♗xf6 ♗xf6 13.♖fc1 The point is that I want to keep the c5 pawn weak. So I would like to play a5 because it prevents b4 protecting it. However, currently a5 doesn't actually prevent b4 because after axb my rook is hanging. So I need to get my bishop out of the way and connect my rooks. I expected him to play b4 and maybe I can no longer win a pawn over here. 13...♗d7 14.e4 Why don't I want to take? Because right now the d5 pawn is doing a good job restricting the Nd2. If I take, he recaptures with the knight hitting my bishop and he is taking over the initiative. 14...a5 Now he has given me the time to get in my a5 which keeps his pawns messed up and weak. 15.♖c2 I asked myself what this move could be about. The only thing I could see was intending to double on the a-file. However, the Rc2 is guarding the c3 pawn so currently it can't really execute this "threat" so I think this is just another time waster. I expected exd5 because at least it saddles me with an isolated pawn. On the other hand I thought about this and I know that an iso is not neccessarily bad and if you have the minor pieces on you can play "around" the pawn so I decided not to be afraid of it and go ahead with my plan rather than playing dxe4 just to avoid something that could be good as well as bad. 15...♗e7 The other reason Rc2 is wasted is because the a5 pawn is defended by the knight as well as the Ra8 so it actually is fruitless to double against it. So although I could play Ra7 followed by Rfa8, there's no point and I can get back to attacking the c5 pawn. 16.exd5 exd5 17.♖ca2 ♗xc5 Finally I win the c5 pawn. 18.b4 ♗b6 19.♘b3 ♖a7 My idea here is that he can take the pawn back because then I play Rfa8 and the knight is pinned. 20.b5 Seems like it separates his pawns which weakens them more. Maybe he is just trying to generate tactics. 20...♘e7 21.♘bd4 f6 My plan was Nc8 followed by Nd6 double attack on b6 pawn and preventing c4. But I was worried about Ne4 and I don't really want to let him trade his knight for my bishop, but again it's an initiative thing. He would be taking over the game. So I prevent it. He can't play Nd2 because Bxd4 followed by Bxb5 and the d-pawn is defended. 22.♖e1 I called this a "thank you move" when I saw it, since it kind of forces me to do the thing I wanted to do anyway. Hard to say though. It seems good to take control of the e-file and in a way it gives him a knight or rook outpost on e6. 22...♘c8 23.♖b2 ♘d6 24.♘d2 Now because I moved my knight this move is more effective than before. However, my reply is still best I think and note that by trading the d-pawn for the b-pawn I left with b and a pawns next to eachother and all he has on the queenside is the lonely c pawn. 24...♗xd4 25.♗xd5 ♔h8 26.cxd4 ♘xb5 27.♖e7 I had to think here a good while to figure out the tactics of this situation. Basically I stopped at Nxa7 in the game because I noticed that my b-pawn wasn't haning because it was used to recapture on c6. I looked at a couple of rook threats in that position but it seemed at a glance from the distance that I wasn't losing a pawn or anything and I end up with a passed a-pawn running like an escaped criminal (Nimzovitch). 27...♗c6 28.♗xc6 bxc6 29.♖xa7 ♘xa7 30.♖a2 ♘b5 So I didn't see this or the following when I played Bc6 so I sort of feel that the way this stuff worked out was a bit of luck for me. Here I am perfectly happy to trade the a pawn for the d-pawn. 31.♘f3 ♖a8 32.♖c2 ♖a6 33.♖c4 a4 34.♘d2 a3 35.♘b3 a2 36.♘a1 ♔g8 37.♔f1 ♔f7 38.♔e2 ♔e6 39.♔d3 ♖a3 Almost played Kd5. I don't know that it's a disaster or anything but seems fruitless as he can play Rc5 and I just have to back up. 40.♔e4 ♖c3 41.♖xc3 ♘xc3 42.♔d3 ♘b5 43.♔c4 ♘d6 44.♔b3 ♘f5 45.♔xa2 I felt a little bad about giving up the a-pawn because it was on the 7th rank and it lets his knight back in the game however, I still have a passed pawn and my king is ready for action. 45...♘xd4 46.♔b2 c5 47.♔c3 ♔d5 48.h4 c4 49.♘c2 ♘xc2 50.♔xc2 ♔d4 51.♔d2 c3 52.♔c2 f5 Here I knew I was won because I knew I could use my king to eat his kingside pawns while he has to take the c-pawn. This move prevents an immediate g4 and so he will play f3 or f4 and I can move in. 53.f3 ♔e3 54.g4 fxg4 55.fxg4 ♔f4 56.g5 Here I knew for sure I was won because after hxg hxg I will definitely be able to get my king the requisite two ranks ahead of the pawn for the win in a pure king and pawn endgame. 56...hxg5 57.hxg5 ♔xg5 58.♔xc3 ♔g4 59.♔d3 ♔f3 60.♔d2 g5 61.♔e1 ♔g2 62.♔e2 g4 63.♔e3 g3 64.♔f4 ♔f2
Powered by Aquarium

No comments:

Post a Comment