"...a Chessmaster should be a combination of a beast of prey and a monk."

Monday, July 14, 2014

Game One

NN - me

Result: 1-0
Site: Banquiao First Stadium, New Taipei City, Taiwan
Date: 2014.07.13
[...] 1.d4 ♘f6 2.c4 g6 3.♘c3 ♗g7 4.e4 d6 5.♘f3 O-O 6.♗e3 The main line is Be2 e5 O-O. He's the first to leave the book. On the other hand I didn't know it wasn't book. I have played the KID about 45 times and most of them have been against London system type setups, and the others have mostly been odds and ends. So I really have very little knowledge of opening theory about it. None of my references have any explanation of this move. I guess the most glaring fact about this move is that it doesn't prepare for short castling. I'm not sure how big a problem that really is. As it turns out in the game my opponent doesn't seem to care much for castling. It does defend d4. Lastly, it does prepare for his plan of Qd2 and Bh6. 6...♘bd7 Gallagher mentions this move in a note to 6. e5 in the main line to say just that it's designed to prevent a queen trade after e5 if white plays dxe. That's a big part of why I played it. I guess in general I would rather play a tactical game than a drawn out ending. Also I'm used to there being a bishop on f4 since I see the London a lot. (a regular playing partner plays it). Usually in the KID if e5 dxe5 dxe5 it seems white can now play Nxe5 winning a pawn, but the trick is that black just plays Nxe4 simultaneously taking back the pawn and revealing the bishop to attack the undefended knight on e5 so if white plays Nxe4 black just replies Bxe5. Obviously this trick doesn't work against the London setup though due to the fact that the bishop f4 defends the N on e5. So in that case playing Nbd7 gives more backup to the pawn. So now e5 dxe5 dxe5 Nxe5 Nxe4 Nxe4 Nxe5 and material is still balanced and when the Ne5 moves the bishop will be open on the long diagonal eyeing the b2 pawn and the a1 rook. Another reason I play Nbd7 is that despite Gallagher's claim that it's less flexible it seems that it allows me the choice of either e5 or c5. I'm not sure I can give a good description of the relative merits of the two moves but at least I have options. I was mostly just looking to stick as close as possible to my usual game plan as this was my first tournament game. 7.♕d2 ♖e8 So after Bh6 I can play Bh8 like I do. 8.♗h6 ♗h8 9.♗e2 e5 10.d5 ♘c5 11.♘g5 Didn't see this possibility. Seems to be good in as much as he is piling up pieces near my king. 11...♘fd7 12.b4 f6 13.bxc5 fxg5 14.♗xg5 ♗f6 I didn't want to put my knight there and just have it pinned. I'm reluctant to give up the bishop but thought it better than the alternative. 15.♗h6 He seems to be losing time just moving this bishop back and forth. Not sure exactly why he doesn't want to trade off now when he seemed to be quite focused on the idea at the beginning. 15...♘xc5 I felt happy and optimistic after this move. It seemed to me that I had come out of the opening in reasonable shape. 16.g4 ♗h4 This seemed like a good idea at the time. I'm pointed at the king and f2 is pinned. I'm thinking of Qf6. 17.O-O Another unexpected move. Works out quite well for him. 17...♘d7 Wanting to get him back to the kingside. Wanting to try to find a way to get rid of that bishop h6. 18.f4 I think this is where I started to realize I was in more than a little bit of trouble. 18...♘f6 19.g5 ♘g4 20.♗xg4 ♗xg4 21.♕g2 ♗c8 22.f5 gxf5 23.exf5 I resign. He's going to win the bishop now and he seems to have a pretty crushing attack going.
Powered by Aquarium

Take aways: maybe the original Nc5 on move 10 wasn't so great to begin with.  It seems like a good spot, but b4 is easy for him.  My threat to the e pawn is well met by Ng5.  Another option would be Ng4 threatening the bishop.

No comments:

Post a Comment