"...a Chessmaster should be a combination of a beast of prey and a monk."

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Thought process again

Well, the blunder problems I mentioned have been continuing.  I played another absolutely despicable game in the team league.  I actually decided to bench myself for this week as a result.

Again, I think the problem is thought process, and I made an attempt in my regular weekly game this week to focus on the checks, captures, and threats mantra while I was playing.  As I mentioned before, even if I don't religiously check that three times through on each turn (my opponents checks captures and threats if I do nothing, my own possible checks captures and threats, and my opponents checks captures and threats after my candidate move) I am at least more careful and focused.  I think a really big problem for me is that I start to get too much into my own plans and ideas and stop considering my opponents possibilities enough, to the point that I'm not even really checking if my candidate move leaves pieces unguarded or something.

Due to this, right now I am convinced that the absolutely best thing for my improvement is just to focus on improving my thought process while playing games.  I am firmly convinced that this is simply the most important thing I can do to improve my chess.  Tactics are second and are good but studying tactics is not going to help me if my thought process is sloppy, random, and riddled with oversights.

I guess the corollary to this though is just the idea that when I have to remind myself to only play when I am really feeling energetic enough to focus on my thought process in this way.  The problem is that if I am tired then I don't do the things I should and yet when I lose I still feel unhappy.

1 comment:

  1. check this link for thoughtprocesses http://chessthinkingsystems.blogspot.de/
    i think pattern are more important. Try a puzzle where you dont know the fundamental pattern( say triangulation, oposition, far oposition...) , you can think as much as you want you dont find the answer. As soon as you know the pattern you are able do find the answer ( if you have the right thinkingprocess ;).
    Your CCT is , i think, just a blundercheck? and not the whole thoughtprocess?

    ReplyDelete