"...a Chessmaster should be a combination of a beast of prey and a monk."

Thursday, September 26, 2013

A fun game

I play the Italian game because it's recommended for beginners as a good intro to the open game that's less theoretical than the Spanish.  I try to have fun with it if I can.  For instance, I play 4. Ng5 against the 2 Knights mostly because I'm kind of hoping for a chance to launch a Fried Liver or Lolli attack.  It doesn't happen very often.  One idea I've seen played a couple of times, is 3...h6 before 4...Nf6 to prevent 4 Ng5.  Then I'm in the position of having to try to prove this wasted tempo a disadvantage.

One problem I have is that, for some reason, the Fried Liver stuck in my head but the Lolli didn't.  That would be fine except that I'm tormented any time I see 5...Nxd5 because the Lolli is supposed to be a lot better than the Fried Liver.  So part of me wants to launch 6 Nxf7 right away, but the other part wants to remember the Lolli and do that.

In this game we see the result of this confusion on my part.  I play 6 d4 and then instead of 7 O-O on the next move I play Nxf7 which is a kind of conflation of the two attacks.  I think the thing is that the moves of the Lolli kind of make sense to me in that if white can get those moves then the attack will be stronger.  However, I have a fear in the actual moment of losing the opportunity to play Nxf7.

Anyway, in the game it works out fine.  Looking at it right after the game I thought 7 Nxf7 is a blunder because of the possibility of 7...Qe7+.  This seemed to me on a superficial analysis to win the knight without giving white the attacking chances he gets for the sacrifice in the usual ways.  Then, looking at it now before posting I saw that on 8 Qe2 though it seems that white will actually end up even because the knight d5 is still hanging and any attempt to take the knight on f7 drops the d5 knight and any attempt to save the knight d5 allows Nxh8.  So my conclusion at this point is that Nxf7 really isn't a blunder there.  Still, maybe it's not very good because with best play by black the position is pretty level instead of there being this amazing attack.

Anyway, the game was a lot of fun to play, and of course I am happy with the win.  Here it is:


globulon (1446) - bora2003 (1426)

Result: 1-0
Site: Internet Chess Club
Date: 2013.09.20
[...] 1.e4 e5 2.♘f3 ♘c6 3.♗c4 ♘f6 4.♘g5 d5 5.exd5 ♘xd5 6.d4 exd4 7.♘xf7 ♔xf7 (7...♕e7 8.♕e2 ♕xe2 9.♔xe2 ♘b6 10.♗b3 ♖g8 11.♘d6) 8.♕f3 ♔e7 9.♗xd5 ♕d6 10.♗g5 ♔d7 11.O-O g6 12.♕f7 ♘e7 13.♖e1 ♕xd5 14.♖xe7 ♔c6 15.♕f6 ♕d6 16.♖xc7 ♔d5 17.c4 ♔e4 18.♘d2 ♔d3 19.♕f3 ♔c2 20.♕b3#

No comments:

Post a Comment